Tuesday, August 9, 2011

"Do you Have Some Kind of a Foot Fetish or Something?"

A few months ago, my husband and I took a lovely trip down to Florida.  Before dinner, we both went up to the room to shower and we used two of the 4 towels that the chambermaid had left us.  Of course that left us with two for our morning showers and that seemed just fine.  But the next morning, my husband shrieked when he discovered that there was only one clean towel left and the other one was drenched.  I  explained that I had used the wet towel to clean my feet the night before, prior getting into bed.  He gave me the oddest quizzical look....and then blurted out something on the order of ..." Whats with you?? Do you have some kind of foot fetish or something?"

When I was first diagnosed with diabetes, one of the things that my Podiatrist impressed upon me was to inspect and clean my feet every night prior to going to sleep.  With diabetes, we are more  prone to tongue twisting conditions like neuropathy...a complication due to poorly controlled diabetes over a long period of time.  With neuropathy, patients may experience numbness, tingling and/or  foot pain.  Although my diabetes has always been well controlled, I got into the habit of inspecting and cleaning my feet every night and just as I wouldnt consider going to sleep without brushing my teeth, I wouldnt consider going to sleep without cleaning and inspecting my feet.

I'd like to hear your comments.  Do you inspect your feet at night?  Do you suffer from neuropathy?  Feel free   to post your comments below.  After you write your comment, click on the down arrow next to Comment As  and either click on Name or Anonymous then click on Post Comment.
Looking forward to hearing from you!
--Lissy

2 comments:

  1. I was diagnosed 3 yrs ago with type 1 and I'm 39 yrs old. I was in denial for 2 and 1/2 YRS, i have recently started taking care of myself and acknowledging that this is NOT going away...thanks for your blog, it's funny and insightful. Nicole

    ReplyDelete