Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Do Your Fingertips Look Like Pin Cushions?

This blog is dedicated to "Anonymous" and her sister.  Thanks for your question.

 Several weeks ago in preparation for a wedding, I decided to treat myself to a manicure. The manicurist noticed my polka dotted fingertips and questioned why they looked that way.  She gave me one of those looks as if she suspected that I might be a member of some weird self mutilation cult.  When I left there I wondered if while I was looking at my newly polished nails, if others would be looking at my bruised fingertips instead.


We all know that blood sugar testing is the way to go.  We know we should be testing upon awakening , prior to meals and at bedtime.  But for me, the prescribed 4 times per day of testing just doesnt cut it.  I feel that it would be careless to drive without testing and I must test before and after exercising to avoid low blood sugars.   Then there are times when I just feel that my blood sugar is low and that always requires a test.  So...I find myself testing at least 5 to 8 times per day.  I cant say that I "like" to do this.....who would?  But I am now quite used to it and unashamed of my commitment of caring for my health.


I remember that after my children were born, it took me some time to  lose the 20 pounds of pregnancy weight gain.  Friends would tell me to wear the weight proudly as a badge of motherly honor.  When I glance down at my fingertips I think I will wear my bruises proudly, as a badge of health!


I'd love to hear from you....are your fingertips like pin cushions?  How often do you test your blood sugar?


Feel free to join my blog and receive my new blogs via e-mail. Type your e-mail address in the space under the heading up at the top.

5 comments:

  1. Your wedding and pregnancy analogies are priceless!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is impressive to see how well you take care of your health. It is a model for us all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Malka and Anonymous! Your comments mean so much to me!
    --Lissy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your blog puts a voice to what so many people deal with daily. Keeps these posts coming!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Marcia...thanks so much for your comment!
    --Lissy

    ReplyDelete