Monday, July 25, 2011

The Moment of Truth

Having Diabetes, we all have numerous doctor visits throughout the year.  There are the quarterly Endocrinology appointments and the annual Podiatry appointments and others.  But the one that makes me shiver in my sleep is the annual Ophthalmology appointment.  Each year as this day approaches my anticipation grows and with it comes a healthy dose of fear.  For the past 27 years the morning of the appointment has always been my scariest day of the year and that day was today!
When my name was called.  I entered the examination room and was greeted by my doctor who was holding my chart out in front of him.   "Hmmmm ....diabetes since 1984....wellllllllll lets see what we find."  The inference was that ...of course he "would" find something.
First, the easy part...checking of my vision.  Yes, I needed a stronger Rx for reading glasses....no surprise there and my distance had deteriorated very mildly....but the big exam was yet to come.
The Moment of Truth.....the doctor was beginning the retinal exam.  I felt my heart racing and seconds literally seemed like hours.  My left eye was done and he was moving over to the my right eye....SILENTLY.  What did that mean?  Was he waiting to give me the bad news when  he was all finished?   He had to be.  The right eye ...again seconds taking hours to pass.  And then the announcement......."NOTHING...NO RETINAL CHANGES!"

EXHALE!!!!!!!!!!!!!  I hadnt even realized that I had been holding my breath!!!!!

Do your annual eye exams go the same way as mine?  I'd love to hear about them!!!!

8 comments:

  1. Some people are having trouble posting comments. Please try to post a comment beneath this one to see if it goes through.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lissy,

    Welcome to the world of blogging. I think this blog is a great idea and will be very helpful for a lot of people, even those of us who don't have diabetes. Maintaining ones health is important regardless.

    I'm not sure I like your ophthalmologist. :o

    Joan

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL!!! Thanks for your post, Joan! I agree with you. Our health is our greatest asset. We all have one body and one life. Its worth the effort to live it in as healthy a manner as we possibly can.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your blog! I don't have diabetes myself but I have a sister, nephew and niece whom are all Type 1. I will venture out to say that I sure wish they would take care of themselves as much as you talk about doing. Checking sugars regular, eating right, even going to the Endo and other doctors like you are supposed to! I constantly worry about them, especially my nephew. He is 18, living alone, and bullet proof! He lived with me about six months ago and I had to call 911 because his sugar got really low. He moved away and the people he lived with there had to call 911 as well. He is back in the town that I live in (with no other family living here) and living alone. I know he doesn't eat right or check his sugars often enough but he won't listen to anyone! Especially his Worry Wart Aunt!
    Keep up the blogs, I love reading and learning from them!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just had my eye appointment and I was a STRESS case I had to take an ATIVAN just to calm my nerves and jitterness...He finally said NO RETINAL CHANGES too! I was so happy! Now I don't have to worry about it for a few more years! Yay!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Anonymous....thanks for your comment. I'm sorry about your nephew. Eighteen is such a tough age without having a chronic illness! I hope he realizes that his health is his greatest asset and takes control. How are your niece and your sister doing with it? Looking forward to hearing from you again.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi brown.eyez....
    Loved your post about your eye exam! I'm so happy for you that you had no retinal changes! Great job!!! Keep up the good work and keep writing in...I love hearing great reports like this one!

    ReplyDelete